This article is for those of you with your own blogs…if you’re not a blogger you can just skip this post and wait for the next one where we’ll be back to talking about personal finance.
I’ve been participating in the Yakezie challenge which is basically a friendly competition among personal finance bloggers to see how high we can increase our alexa web rankings.
Now I know the Alexa ranking system is flawed and in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t mean much. But despite its flaws, a high Alexa ranking can open doors that are otherwise closed to bloggers. Achieving a ranking in the top 100,000 or so can go a long way toward building your credibility. Top bloggers may actually notice you and welcome you into their secret societies, and advertisers will be more likely to place ads on your site.
In other words a high Alexa rank may help you increase your revenue substantially.
How to Increase Your Alexa Ranking
Obviously, the best way to increase your Alexa rank, Google Page Rank, and web traffic in general is to provide high-quality content that is unique and useful to your readers. If you provide valuable content then people will keep coming back for more.
But creating quality content takes time. I’ve only been blogging for a few months so it’s difficult for me to compete with bloggers that already have hundreds or even thousands of posts in the can. (Don’t worry…I’ll get there, but it will take a little time to catch up )
So while I plug away like the little engine that could, it’s helpful to look for a few shortcuts to help speed my journey. The tips listed below are simple ways to improve Alexa rankings quickly. (In just 2 weeks I’ve leapfrogged over 1 million sites and continue to improve daily.)
1. Install the Alexa toolbar and visit your site daily. This is pretty obvious really.
2. Get together with a few friends and form an informal network of bloggers that visits each other’s sites each day.
3. Encourage others to download and install the Alexa toolbar. The more people visiting your site with the toolbar installed the higher your rankings will go.
4. Participate in webmaster forums like WarriorForum, SitePoint, and DigitalPoint. A high percentage of users there will have the Alexa toolbar installed so if they visit your site you’ll get a boost.
5. Write articles that teach how to improve Alexa ranking. People searching for that topic will likely have the toolbar installed so you’ll get another boost when they visit your site.
6. Take advantage of social media sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit. These sites can send a boatload of traffic to your blog and improve your Alexa ranking.
7. Pay for it. If you create a page targeting webmasters you can drive traffic to it via PPC and get loads of traffic.
Now I don’t think it’s a very smart idea to pay for Alexa rankings when you can do it yourself for free, but it is an option.
Well there you have it. Seven easy tips for quickly increasing Alexa rankings.
What are your thoughts? Do you have any tips to share?